5 Simple Breakfast Ideas To Start Your Day
by Jo Macdonald
Breakfast can be the one meal of the day that gets the least attention. We all know it's meant to be the most important meal of the day, and that as we get older it's even more important to take care of our health and start the day in the right way, but it isn't always easy, especially during the week when everyone is tired and rushing to get out of the door on time.
Be honest, how often do you just reach for the same thing day in, day out?
I know I do - 2 pieces of toast with Marmite, a glass of OJ & mug of Peppermint tea, that is my default breakfast. Has been for years. And my kids are pretty much the same - toast with jam for my girls (porridge or an egg in winter), and Weetabix with sliced banana for my son (when he's at home). Life sometimes just seems simpler that way, when you don't have to think too much. But simple can also be boring, and not so great for your health.
So, here are 5 easy breakfast ideas to shake things up a bit...they're also quick and tasty so no excuses.
- Get fruity - Fruit is always a great option for a healthy and yummy breakfast. Grab some strawberries, raspberries & blueberries (or other favourite fruit) and serve them with a couple of spoonfuls of natural yoghurt and a dash of maple syrup - delicious.
- Go continental - why do we only do this on holidays? Croissants are available everywhere now and can be filled with anything from cheese or jam (try this blueberry & chia seed recipe from A Beautiful Mess), to ham or bacon for non-veggies. Top Tip: feed your kids before they are dressed for school as the crumbs go everywhere!
- Chocolate Breakfast Mousse - yep, chocolate for breakfast - but it's actually healthy!!! Just whizz up 1 avocado with 2 bananas, 1 heaped tablespoon of cacao power and enough water or almond milk to get the consistency you like. Play around with quantities to get the flavour you like best - more banana, more cacoa, whatever works for you. Simple and tasty (based on this recipe).
- Scramble hash - okay I couldn't think of a good name for this one but it is basically what we have at the weekends and is so tasty I don't know why I don't do it more during the week. Gently fry an onion, some left over new or boiled potatoes (sliced) and leftover veggies (sliced). In a separate bowl beat some eggs (about 2 per person) and then add to the pan and gently scramble. Season with salt and pepper, serve with toast, et voila. Takes about 15 minutes to do so not too bad even on a week day and it is really worth it. Extra points if you bung in some spinach and smoked salmon. Eggs are generally a pretty speedy option during the week and add a bit of variety, try fried or poached, or even good old fashioned dippy eggs & soldiers.
- Indulge in a Smoothie - There are a million and one recipes on the net for smoothies and juices to get the day started. Personally I like to whizz up a banana, a handful of frozen mixed berries and some orange juice. Sometimes I throw a kiwi fruit in there too or a handful of blueberries. You can get serious and add some chia seeds or flax seeds etc but only if you want - I usually don't...but probably should!
Do you have a favourite easy breakfast recipe? Share below.